Everyone's favorite holiday side dish gets taken up a notch with this delectable sweet potato recipe. We combine our sweet and creamy pralines with the classic flavors of sweet potato casserole. The outcome is warm, delicious and simply irresistible.
You can make this dish ahead and refrigerate overnight, adding the praline crumble just before baking.
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 3 pounds of sweet potatoes (about 8), or two 40 ounce cans of yams
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups of chopped Aunt Sally's Original Creole Pralines
Optional: 1 bag miniature marshmallows
- You can prepare your sweet potatoes by baking them and then let them cool before you peel them, or you can peel them and boil them in water. Baking them, however, gives them a richer, caramelized flavor.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a 2-quart baking dish with butter.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs and whipping cream until it starts to get thick and fluffy.
- Add the remaining ingredients one at a time, reserving the pralines for the topping.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish and level the top, then sprinkle the pralines until the top is evenly coated.
- Bake while covered at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until the center is set.
- Remove the cover and let brown in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes.
- If you opted to have a marshmallow topping, add those along with the pralines and bake.
- Serve immediately because waiting is impossible!
Share a photo of your delicious creations with us on our Facebook page or tweet us on Twitter! For more delicious recipes like this, visit our praline recipes blog. If you have a favorite praline recipe you'd like us to share, please submit it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.